Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Homework Assignment 12

Our teacher posed this question:

Suppose you had a coupon for a free robot. The catch is it can only do one thing. But you can get a robot that will do whatever one thing you like, just not anything else. What would you want your robot to do?

I think that if I were able to obtain a robot I would want it to do a task I find difficult. However the question posed has some ambiguity. Could it perform one large task that is a composite of smaller tasks? For example, I hate cleaning my house. Could this robot only vacuum my house or could it clean dust as well? If this robot could perform a large task composed of smaller functions then I would want this robot to clean every surface of my house. I would like to to clean tiles in the shower, vacuum rugs and floors, dust surfaces, clean spills, organize the room, and last but certainly not least clean dishes. If my robot could only perform one lower level function, then I would want my robot to iron my clothes. Washing clothes is already basically automated. All you do if set the temperature, put detergent in, and then load the clothes. I am very bad at ironing. I do not believe this requires much skill but I can never seem to iron clothes to my liking. It would be nice if a robot could automatically iron my clothes so that they do not have an creases.

He also posed this question.
2) Write or develop an additional significant piece of your project. As a suggestion, consider the connection of robots to your topic. However, if another subject besides robots seems more appropriate, that is just as good. Post the new section on your blog.

Possible Applications of Trans-Humanism

Trans-humanism will surely evolve to deal with automated machines. Automated machines that provide a service could be a generic definition of a robot. I believe we could one day integrate robots into our body. Perhaps we could take a robot and attach it to our arm. This robot could act like a PDA on our arm. We could make calls, send and transmit pertinent data, as well as view data. This robot could the detach from our arm and go scout out an area. For example, a hunter who is deep in the woods could use this device to communicate with the outside world, and then have this robot go scout out a field for turkeys. Once the robot detected a turkey it could return to its user and give details on where the turkey is. This robot could do many other functions. Such as help regulate body temperature and breathing through a interface that is connect to our body. Perhaps it could interface with a usb port that is implanted into the arm or even brain. This could help when the weather is cold and make sure that our aim would be steady. Snipers practice breathing techniques to make sure that their accuracy is not affected with each breath they take. There are endless ways a robot could interface with our body and provide services that would make our lives easier and more efficient. This is just one possible way. We could also use robots to perform health checks to our body. Instead of having to go to the doctor for a check up, maybe a robot that is integrated into our bodies can consistently check for cancer, viruses, and other ailments. Like I said previously there are many if not infinite ways a robot could aid our lives. So our dicussion and analysis of robots does give pertinent incite into the direction and application of trans-humanism. Also known as the metamorhpsis to homo evolutis. The new species of man that is part biological part machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment